Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sunset in London

Oh my gosh I can't believe I actually forgot to blog about my trip to St. Paul's Cathedral! I was writing about how I went to St. Paul's before I bought my new camera in my last post and then I started wondering whether I uploaded those beautiful photos of the sunset I took from the top of the dome! When I looked through my previous posts then I realised I didn't upload them!
How silly of me.... Okay, so here they are. A whole post dedicated to my trip to St. Paul's Cathedral....

I remember visiting St. Paul's when I came to London when I was 9 years old with my uncle. I remember the Whispering Gallery and counting the number of steps up to the dome.... So when I revisited it on the 29th of December, all the memories of that trip 10 years ago came flashing back to my mind.
I've always wanted to visit St. Paul's again since I came to London for uni. When I passed by it for the first time during the Malaysian Society London tour, I knew I had to come back and actually go into the cathedral (as we only took photos outside). And since I didn't have much to do during my winter break, I decided to go~ It cost £13.50 for an entrance fee (for concession/student ticket) which allows access to the cathedral floor, the dome and the crypt. You also get one of those audio guides! Which I always want when I go to museums/galleries but they always need you to pay an extra fee and I'm always too stingy to spend that money LOL.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my visit there. My initial plan was to go in the morning (9.30am), so that I can take my own sweet time to walk around without needing to worry that the galleries would close. But you know me, I can't possibly wake up that early LOL. I ended up going there around 1.30pm and walked around until they were about to close (around 4.30pm). Without really planning, I managed to go up to the dome right when the sun was setting and I could enjoy the beautiful view of London's skyline with the sun setting on the horizon. But it was slightly too cold to stay up there for long and they don't allow people to stay up there for too long either to prevent overcrowding.

Okay, let's proceed to the photos~

First and foremost, of course, selfies. LOL 
I just really enjoy taking my own sweet time to get ready while simultaneously watching a few Youtube videos and having some food and then followed by a small selfie session before I actually head out. XD

My hair required a lot of dry shampoo that day. kekeke Btw I need to get a new dry shampoo.... I don't like the scent of my current one and the thing with it is that the scent never fades from my hair, it just stays there all day and I keep smelling it and it annoys me so much. 
And I love this dress of mine so much (it's from H&M) but I rarely get the chance to wear it out!
I was also wearing that gradient lip colour again~ I love it but it's not a suitable colour to wear to work so I rarely wear it as well.



Here we are!


I could've gotten a much better shot of the cathedral but I was just lazy to cross the road to get a full shot of it.
This will do. lol

They didn't allow any photography in the cathedral and of course, I respected that, unlike some other disrespectful tourists. But I bought a postcard which is a photo of the interior of the church which is just breathtaking. People put so much effort into making cathedrals look glorious and majestic and it's really worth going to check it out.
I especially loved the black and white checkered floors. And it was obvious how the designs of this cathedral (which is an Anglican church) differs from the Roman Catholic churches like all the ones I saw in Italy. All the mosaic wall-art was so beautiful. 

After walking and lingering around the cathedral floor for a while (there was a lot to absorb in there), I headed to the stairway that led to the Whispering Gallery and then up towards the dome!
The Whispering Gallery isn't fun if you go alone lol. There's no one to listen to you when you whisper into the walls. lol
Anyway, I then got up to see the amazing view of London from above the cathedral!
There was two viewing points, so this was from the first one.



All the little ant-like people down there!

I took so many photos of the view and thus, made it a very difficult process of choosing the best out of the bunch to upload.


ugh so pretty





The bells and clock towers.


This was from the very top (second viewing point) of the dome already! I didn't get the chance to take a lot of photos up there coz they wanted people to keep on moving in order to maintain the flow of the queue. Plus, it was freeeeezing up there. 





This shopping centre/offices is One New Change. I need to go to their roof terrace one day!

Some people love the Shard, some people hate it. What do you think about it?
It doesn't really fit it does it? 
But I still think it looks really nice. 

If I don't remember wrongly, this was the last photo I took before walking down to the first viewing point.
The sun looked extra red and pretty and this was the only photo I took of it before I was being rushed to walked down but this photo doesn't do the view I witness any justice.

So this was back at the first viewing point again~



After I got down from the dome, back to the cathedral floor, I headed to the crypt which had lots of memorials and some more history about the cathedral.
By the time I got out of the cathedral after buying my postcards, it was dark already.

I then took the bus back to my place which was a huge mistake.... should've just taken the tube instead. I had to wait almost half an hour for one stupid bus in the cold!!!

This has no relation to St. Paul's but Veronica gave me this a few weeks ago when I saw her and I was so excited to start eating it!

I should've done a comparison of some sort to show you guys how big this piece of Reese's was. but omg it was huge but I still managed to finish it (not in one go though). I love Reese's but it's soooo unhealthy. It tastes so much sweeter than other chocolates and the peanut butter is plain sinful. 


Anyway, that's all for this post. It's 4am now and once again, I'm not tired at all and don't feel like sleeping. But I have so much to do and prepare for my classes next week so I better get some sleep and get some brain juice back in my brain before I start on all the readings I need to do.
Good night/morning! XD



x

No comments:

Post a Comment