Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Long time no.... blog?

I'm finally here. After more than 3 months. If you asked me 3 months ago, i never would have guessed my life would be like how it is at the moment. 
The last 3 months just flew by. I know i always say time flies but i've never felt time go by so fast compared to the last 3 months, I'm serious. It really feels like I just left home yesterday. but now i'm here, finished with my first semester of university. *mindblown* 
So much has happened since I last blogged and I don't know where to start blogging from. I guess I'll just start with recent events. 

Overall, regarding uni life, I feel like i've learnt so much stuff! More than i've ever learnt in my whole life. Not just academic-wise but as a whole, as a person. And I've met so many people from all over the world! Norway, Sweden, China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Germany, India, France, Spain, and of course UK, just to name a few countries. Although there are still times where the thought of "Why the hell did I choose this course?!" passed my mind, but thinking back now, I've quite enjoyed it. But i cant wait for 2nd year where we can finally get to choose the modules of our choice. 

I quite enjoyed marketing but I hated the writing. I generally just hate writing essays/assignments. Our lecturer, Darryn, is a really nice guy. Intimidating in some ways, but really nice. I dont think i'd like marketing if not for him. All the theory of marketing can get really boring sometimes.

For management studies and skills, it was the most "chill" module, i guess. We don't have any tests for it but we do have an essay due at the end of January. We had a not-so-formal presentation in our seminar and a formal group presentation that we had last week. I didn't really enjoy the group work but it was nice spending more time with some of my course mates because we usually don't have much time get to know people during lectures and seminars. 

In the case of economics for business, it was definitely the most boring module ever. The easiest for me though because I learnt all of it before in A-Levels. Thank God all those hard work paid off after all. Although i didnt get an A for Economics in A-Levels doesnt mean i'm not good at it, i'm just really bad at writing essays. Plus, my economics lecturer is once again, a very boring lecturer. He basically just repeats everything from the textbook. But i guess maybe it's the subject that is boring?

On the other hand, my Business and Society lecturer makes lectures really interesting, and he is super tall, maybe 1.9/2m tall! Tbh, I really hated Business and Society at first because i couldnt understand anything he was talking about. It was all about capitalism, globalisation, oil prices, neoliberalism, and a lot of other topics which felt very foreign to me. But then when we had to write our essay for capitalism, i had no choice but to really focus and learn what this module was all about. So i watched all the lecture videos he uploaded and thankfully, i got my head around it and surprisingly ended up really liking this module! I dont think i wrote a good essay for it though because i procrastinated and ended up needing to rush for it and I submitted it 4 minutes before the dateline. 

From next year onward, we'll be starting 4 more new modules which i'm actually quite excited about! One of the modules is Accounting! I'm happy because at least there's one module that doesnt require you to write (hopefully). I hope i'll get a nice time table for next semester too. I got Thurs and Fri off for the first sem and it was just so nice because i only needed to travel into London 3 days per week most of the time. Other than that, I really hope i'll manage to make more friends that I could actually hang out with. It's really hard to make friends especially when you only have 8 hours of classes a week. 


Besides uni, i was really lucky to get a part-time job at a shop in Watford called Paperchase two weeks ago! It's a gift/stationery retail store in UK and they sell really cute and pretty stuff, especially their cards. but everything is quite pricey. Imagine buying a card for £2.75! That's why i cant wait till i get through my probation in 3 months' time and get my 50% employee's discount then i can buy the stuff that i want~ But there are some stuff in the store that i probably wont wait till then to buy because everything goes out of stock extremely fast! There's this PINK and GLITTERY notebook in store, and when i saw it, i knew it was made for me! So, i'll probably get it if it goes on sale on Boxing Day. 
Anyhow, I was really lucky to get this job and it's a permanent one too! After i was hired, i still saw a lot of people coming into the store to ask whether they still had vacancies. I am probably the last person they employed for this year. I put in so much effort to find this job though. After being nagged by my aunt, I went out one morning and gave out more than 10 of my CVs and when i went into Paperchase, they asked me to go back for an interview on the same day itself! And i got the job! The manager and assistant manager said they really liked me! hehehe but the manager quit her job on my first day at work. It was not only a surprise to me but to the other staff too. I'm not sure why and how it all happened though. 
My assistant manager, Collett, is really really nice and friendly, plus she lives along the same road as my aunt! So we walked home together last night. It was a bit awkward though, i hope it doesnt has to happen again. All my other colleagues are really helpful and friendly too, maybe except for one. No one likes her. and there's my supervisor that i dont really like because she keeps saying i'm not doing my job good enough, although she said it indirectly but still. It's just so nicely that every time she sees me, i'm not talking/helping any customers. It's just that as a sales assistant, you just greet every customer as they come in, and ask them if they need any help and most of them just come in to browse. So i just spend most of time tidying stuff, which can be boring. The funny thing is, all the sales assistants that are in charge of customer service on the shop floor keep complaining how boring it is. Dont get me wrong, we love helping customers, we hate it when we cant do anything to help. We all love working on the till because at least we have something to do.

Overall, I'm really enjoying my job! I get to chat with my colleagues and customers and fake smile all shift long! LOL but it feels nice when you manage to help someone out and put a smile on their face by greeting them. but our store manager, Cris, has been stressing on customer service recently and giving us training and testing our customer service skills so it can be a little stressful. Especially last Tuesday, when i was called in to help out at night, I came back from uni at 6.30pm and i was supposed to start on my essay but no, i had to go work. I was so tired but Cris decided to test my customer service skills and i was totally braindead and couldnt think at all, so i dont think i gave him a good impression. TT______TT


Besides all that, life has been not-so-good for me. Ever since i came to live with my aunt, i just havent been feeling myself and i feel like I live through one day just to get to the next, like there's nothing to look forward to. Living with my aunt definitely isnt fun. I havent been laughing much and it can be depressing sometimes. and she has been complaining about me to my uncle and my mum. and they have been telling me about it and constantly advising me to behave myself. and it's just annoying as fuck. I sometimes feel like i dont have freedom at all. I have to follow everything my aunt says, follow all her way of doing things. 
She has gave me the choice to move out if i was really unhappy living with her. My uncle also made it clear that i didnt need to worry about the money if it really results to that. 
Although that should have made me happy, instead it made me really sad. But i told my uncle that if it's my aunt that is really unhappy with me living with her and that i've become a burden to her, then i will be more than willing to move out because i just cant stand it if i'm making things difficult for her. 
Anyhow, although i would love to move out, but for now, i dont think i plan to. I just got my job and I'm enjoying it. I think i'll just put in more effort to make this work out. If by next summer, things are just as bad, I'll reconsider my aunt's offer. 


Let's not end this on a sad note.... It's the holidays~ and i finally have the time to catch up on my favourite shows! I've caught up on The Carrie Diaries and The Vampire Diaries ytd. LOL at the title of these shows.
But they are so so good~ it's so easy to relate to The Carrie Diaries in some ways and it's just so nice to watch. All the couples in this show are the sweetest. Especially the gay couple, they are so cute! 
As for The Vamp Diaries, i have to say it is getting a bit boring compared to the previous seasons but it's still quite interesting and definitely still worth watching. 
And I watched The Holiday last night till 2am and it was so nice. One of those perfect, must-watch christmas/holiday movies. I need to find more of these heart-warming movies to watch before bed so that i can end my day on a happy note everyday. 

Hopefully I'll manage to find time to blog more during this holiday season because i have some photos i want to upload! I hope you guys are spending your holidays happily with your families and friends while i try to have a happy holiday by watching happy movies. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment