Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pisa! Part 1

On Day 6 of our trip, we headed to Pisa! We took the train from Station Santa Maria Novella to Pisa's train station, which luckily was really near to our hotel. But the hotel was a bit far from the Leaning Tower but we had lots of time in Pisa so we just slowly walked along the streets of the city. But it wasn't that fun strolling around because it was hot hot hot! I am thankful that it didn't rain at all throughout our trip but it seriously was hot. It's like I was back in Malaysia again and I just couldn't wait to get back to the cool London summer weather~ Although I must say that London has been hot and humid these few days and I'm not enjoying it that much.

Oh there was an interesting episode on the train ride over to Pisa. In Rome, near the Roman Forums, there were these two American guys that asked us to help them take a photo of them. I said okay and they handed me their iphone and I asked them how they wanted the photo taken, like with the Roman Forum as the background or whether they wanted the photo to be taken vertically or horizontally. And they said, "No, no, just our faces." I was secretly laughing in my head *sorry* LOL I just found it weird. Two guys, just wanting a photo of their faces. Without the Roman Forum. But anyway, we saw these two guys on the train to Pisa! I don't know if they saw us but they ended up having to give up their seats to a some chinese girls that didn't have seats (btw we didnt have seats either) and they ended up playing cards together with those few chinese tourists and an Australian uncle. And they had such a hard time communicating with each other and the chinese were trying very hard to explain the game rules to them. Joon Tian and I were just laughing by the side. LOL Those are the times that make I feel so grateful that I understand chinese.

So after we left our luggage in the hotel room and rested for a bit, we headed out to the city of Pisa! We didn't have a map so at first we had quite a hard time locating the town centre but we made it and because Pisa's town centre is so small, we didn't have much of a problem finding our way around the city the next day. We also had an app on our phones that had the map so it was a bit helpful. In Florence and Rome though, we couldn't have found our way around the city so easily without maps.
Plus, I'm so glad that both Joon Tian and I are skillful map readers LOL We didn't have to struggle much to figure out where we were and deciding on the routes and stuff. 


Walking along the river again~

Our first stop, Palazzo Blu! It's a museum/gallery and they had a Galileo/outerspace exhibition as well. 
There wasn't a lot of people in there. In the museum part of the palazzo, there was only us and another old couple. I wasn't that interesting of a museum thought I must say.











The entry hallway of the Galileo exhibit!



There were some fun things you could play with as well. They weren't  that interesting but we had fun.



I can't rmb how this worked again. There was a camera on the screen that would detect the heat of your body or something and then you would appear on the screen in this weird formation.




You see all those geometrical panels on the building? I saw on a pamphlet that Pisa has this event one day in June where they lit lights in the shape of those panels along the river at night! And it would have been awesome if we got the chance to see it but the event/festival was in mid-June.... 

I stopped to get some gelato! But this wasnt as tasty as the ones we had in Rome and Florence. This was just like normal ice-cream. And it was more expensive than the ones we had previously too. 


The view of the Museo Nazionale di San Matteo from across the river. We wanted to go visit it but it was close that day. I watched a documentary on BBC showing that it had quite interesting things in it and now I kinda regret not going back to it on our second day in Pisa. 


The Gothic church of Santa Maria della Spina. It's a very small church in the middle of the street. 
They were putting up those light panels for the festival while we walked pass.

They even had those light panels along the bridge! 

Once again, the beautiful view of Tuscany!



The Museo Nazionale di San Matteo again.


We could've have went to visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa on that day but we chose to leave it for the last day of our trip. 

We chose to visit a botanical garden instead. It wasn't very interesting, but it was a way to kill time by looking at beautiful plants~ Just look at these beautiful Hydrangeas!

Lavenders~

I think this building is part of the University of Pisa and it's probably their botanical department. There was even a smaller building in the middle of the garden and we saw people attending a lecture there. How nice is that? 



Malaysians, does this look familiar to you?




All these prickly friends.





I was starting to look really tanned.......



These are bell flowers right?


The beautiful lotus. A random thought: Have you ever thought of getting a tattoo (if you don't already have one)? And if you would get one (or more), what would that tattoo be? I've thought a lot about it but still contemplating because I just dont look like someone who'd get a tattoo right? Although I do have 3 pairs of piercings on my ears. I saw a lady having a lotus tattoo in Italy and I thought it would be a nice one. Of course, there's more meaning to it to me than it just being pretty. 


Back to these Hydrangeas again. After this photo, we left the garden and continued our stroll around the city.
My hair got browner from so much exposure to the sun......

LOOK AT ALL THESE LEANING TOWERS!!!
They were all in this random small convenience store.

hahahahaha

yum yum yum all the sizes of Nutella available in Italy~

Anyone up for pasta from vending machine?



There were so many churches around the city and we just entered a random one that we saw. I dont even rmb their names because we didn't have a map.



This is the around the same area as the first photo of this post. This was where most of the restaurants and shops are.

We kept saying we wanted to buy some interesting snacks back so we kept looking for a supermarket and this was the only one we found. And look at their price tags on the shelves. I just found it interesting.

And mini Nutellas!

Fresh yogurt and cheese~



 This is what I had for dinner. Totally not worth my money. I haven't ate a lot of lasagna in my life but from the ones I've eaten, this wasn't good. And it was a very small proportion. 

This was the key to our hotel room. This thing is probably also a door stopper because it was very very heavy.

7 posts done! One more to go~
Hopefully I can get it done tmr!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment