Thursday, July 10, 2014

Under The Tuscan Sun - FIRENZE Part 1

We left Rome on the 4th day of our trip and took a train to from Rome's Termini Station to Florence's Santa Maria Novella Station!!! I dont quite remember how long the train ride was, probably an hour and a half but I slept most of the time on the train.

 Before leaving the apartment, I just had to take a photo of this big ass key LOL

 This is the front door of the apartment. 


 It was a nice stay. It was a bit far from Rome's city center but Trastevere is a nice area and if you take the trams or buses, it's not too bad of a distance to the town center.

 A selfie... just coz i wanted to take a selfie in Rome. LOL
I brought my make up along with me on this trip despite only having a carry-on luggage but the weather was so so hot that I just couldnt bother. I carried a small pot of sunscreen in my handbag though, because I just had to reapply it on my face every few hours because I'm terrified of getting super tanned. But it probably didnt help much. I just ended up with a thick layer of sunscreen on my face at the end of the day.
My skin was coping well with the sun and sunscreen up until day 4 or 5 but then it got bad. And I couldnt really do much to save it.

 The view of the Italian countryside while on the train. It seems really nice and peaceful living out there. 

 We then made it to Firenze! Thankfully our Bed and Breakfast (well, they only gave us snacks in the room, so not a real breakfast) was quite near to the train station so we didnt have too much trouble finding the place. The guy at the B&B was really nice and friendly as well~

 Our rooms were not ready yet when we checked in so we left our bags there and headed out into the sun and started our sight-seeing! I dont know whether it's really hotter in Florence compared to Rome but I truly felt like it was a few degrees hotter. Moreover, there wasnt as many trees around the city and along the river.

The Fiume Arno. The Arno River.

 Piazza Ognissanti with a few sports car parked there (I dont know why), so there were a few guys taking photos of them there.

 How peaceful does this look? It would have been perfect if it wasn't that hot. I will probably be complaining a lot about the weather in the next few posts because I can't stand the heat!!!

 Our first stop in Florence was Palazzo Pitti/ Pitti Palace!
It was the only main tourist spot away from the city center. 

 Italian architecture is just so unique. It just have a special essence to it that I love. 
I guess I love how every building in a row is different from each other.

 The main courtyard of the Pitti Palace!

 It a big palace with lots of different galleries and they had two kinds of tickets that entailed the entrance to different galleries. I dont know why they did that. Maybe a way to earn more money? Or maybe they know not everyone wanted to visit everything? Anyway, we only bought one of the ticket options to visit 3 museums/galleries and the Boboli Gardens (which I was most excited about).

 Firstly, the Museo degli Argenti, which wasn't very interesting but it wasn't too bad. 


 Next, the was the Galleria del Costume. So lots and lots of clothing from every century. I enjoyed that gallery. There was a bunch of crazy and unique hats on exhibition as well.

 Joon Tian said this reminded her of Elsa's cape from Frozen LOL


 Following that, we found the way to the Boboli Gardens! Yay more UV rays!

 The view of the Duomo from the garden. It's so beautiful. 
Florence's scenery is just so breathtaking. I love it.


 Yay, more stairs!

 I found this sculpture (?) really weird.


I hated myself for wearing long pants that day. 


 A very very green pond.



 The royalties that used to live there were so lucky to have such a great view of the city from their garden.
and I think Florence's citizens (in present times) get to enter the gardens for free, how lucky.



 You arrive at another small garden after you climb all those stairs.

 We kept wondering where the last museum on our ticket was. And here it was! The Museo della Porcellane. The Porcelain Museum! there wasnt much to see inside but everything was beautiful. I dont know why I have no photos of any of the porcelain.

I only took a photo of the painting of Napoleon.

 When you walk to the edge of the small garden, this is the view you see!
But you really have to see this view for yourself to experience the beauty of it.
Despite the hot sun, I stood out there for almost half and hour just trying to absorb all of it in. I just couldnt get enough of it.






 How breathtaking is this?



 I took a lot of photos of this view. After taking the photos, we sat down somewhere with shade and rested for a bit before making our way down to the palace again.






 Another huge bath. 

 And a flying horse!

 When we got back to the courtyard, there was a Japanese fashion show going on! So we sat and enjoyed and the show.

 I saw this lady the next day at the Uffizi Museum LOL

 It was a kimono fashion show. Every single one of them were so pretty.



 After the Pitti Palace, we walked back to Florence's city centre.
This is Ponte Vecchio, the Vecchio Bridge, which I love love love so much.

 All the shops along the bridge were jewelry stores.

 hahahahaha this guy looked into my camera once I snapped the photo.






 Piazza della Repubblica. 


 This is the restaurant where we had our first dinner in Florence and it was probably the most delicious meal (and worth our money) we had amongst all the other ones throughout our trip. The atmosphere was really nice as well, there were people (probably friends of the owner) dancing and singing inside the restaurant while we had our meal. This place was a recommendation from the owner of our B&B. While we checked in, I asked him for some recommendations because there are so many restaurants around the city and some are targeted at tourists so they would probably be overpriced and we didnt want to go to places like that. So I'm glad I asked because the street this restaurant is on (borgo San Lorenzo) has quite a few restaurants and it would have been a headache to decide where to eat. 

 I ordered a 4-cheeses pizza and it was amazing. I loveeeeee cheese so this was just heaven for me. There was even a blue cheese which was really strong in it. And its crust wasnt as dry as the previous two I had in Rome so it was just a plate of perfection for me. 

We shared both dishes half and half with each other so I suggested we order the gnocchi and it was the right choice because it was yummy. really delicious. I was such a happy girl after that meal.

 Basilica San Lorenzo which we didnt go into because it required you to pay an entrance fee. It is one of the largest churches in Florence and the burial place of all the principal members of the Medici family. I watched a documentary of the Medici family after I came back to London and learned about this fact, which I probably should've known before I went there. And according to the documentary, the Medici family are the Godfathers of the Renaissance.

 This was our room. It was okay. We had to share the bathrooms with other people but thankfully the other people kept the place nice and clean.

And yeah, there were very few TV channels that were showing shows in English so we had to just watch movies in Italian. LOL


Yay! Another post done! Hopefully can get another one up in before I need to sleep~

No comments:

Post a Comment